I recently discovered how to make a frittata. It’s pretty similar to an omelette but is easier to make & ensure that it is cooked through (and it tastes a little better in my opinion!). It’s a favourite low-carb, protein-packed breakfast, lunch or post-workout meal of mine. It’s so simple to make & you can use any vegetables that you like to tailor it to your taste!
- 2 whole eggs OR 1 whole egg + 1 or 2 egg whites
- Vegetables of choice. My favourites are peppers, red onion, courgette, tomatoes, spinach
- Coconut oil (or other oil of your choice) for frying
- Chop up your choice of vegetables into small cubes.
- In a small frying pan, heat some oil over a medium-high heat.
- Fry your veg in the oil until soft. Remember to put things like peppers and courgettes in first as they take longer to soften, but things like tomatoes, onions and spinach in a little while after, as they will take only a couple of minutes to soften. Season with black pepper/herbs.
- Whisk your eggs/egg whites together with a little black pepper. I usually use 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites to ensure that my frittata is packed full of protein!
- Once your vegetables have softened, add your beaten eggs to the frying pan and allow the bottom to cook.
- Once the bottom has cooked, take your frying pan and place it under a pre-heated grill on a medium heat for about 3-6 minutes to allow your frittata to cook through.
- Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn on top, but when it starts to turn golden, it’s ready!
This is great to eat on it’s own or I sometimes like to top my frittata with some Total Greek Yoghurt, low fat Quark or feta cheese. You could also add an avocado for some extra healthy fats or some sweet potato fries afterwards for some complex carbs.